- General Religion resources
- Aboriginal Spirituality
- Judaism and the Holocaust
General Religion resources
Don’t forget to cite your sources…use the Citation Maker to create your citations.
And remember your Works Cited should be in alphabetical order, using hanging indents. Here’s a sample Works Cited (with List of Images Used) to use as a reference.
- BBC’s Religion & Ethics – Religions ~ a guide to religions of the world; includes a calendar of holy days and festivals from around the world
- Britannica School ~ use the search bar at the top; to access from home, you will need a password for this site (see Ms. Martin)
- Beliefnet: Inspiration, Spirituality, Faith ~ look for the list of faiths along the left side
- Religion Facts ~ “just the facts on the world’s religions”; also includes comparison charts
- Religious Tolerance
- Society and Community: Religion ~ the number and distribution of people belonging to religious denominations and faiths; from Statistics Canada
- Sacred Journeys ~ a series from PBS that profiles 6 pilgrimages to holy sites; includes an interactive World Religions map
- Sacred Texts ~ from the British Library; launch the Interactive Sacred Stories to search in depth
- Show: a new way to look at the world ~ resizes our world map according to various demographics/topics, including religion
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada ~ try the drop-down Topics list, including Arts, Culture & Heritage
- Anishinaabemowin ~ this tribe’s web site includes specific legends (click on English translation), detailed information about their ceremonies, and more
- Assembly of First Nations
- Canada in the Making: Aboriginals ~ lists specific treaties
- The Canadian Encyclopedia: Aboriginal Peoples ~ the link for Native Peoples is in the middle column, under “Subjects and Subtopics.” Subtopics include: use of materials, articles on relevant issues, and information on Native tribes.
- Canadian Museum of Civilization’s First Peoples of Canada ~ online exhibits on First Peoples and Aboriginal Heritage; click on Index to see a list of topics
- CBC’s Archive: Native Issues ~ television and radio clips, plus topics such as “A Celebration of Aboriginal Heritage”
- First Nations Religion: Overview ~ from the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan; great information on specific ceremonies
- National Film Board’s Aboriginal Peoples’ site ~ lots of great videos about Canada’s aboriginal peoples
- Native Spirituality Guide ~ from the RCMP…”to help police officers gain an understanding of sacred ceremonies practised and sacred items carried by many Native people across Canada.”
- Four Directions Teachings ~ an audio narration for learning about Indigenous knowledge and philosophy from 5 First Nations in Canada
Judaism and the Holocaust
- Britannica School: Judaism ~ to access from home, you will need a password for this site (see Ms. Martin)
- Judaism ~ from the BBC; including history, beliefs, holy days, customs, and more!
- The Jewish Virtual Library ~ history, politics, biographies, religion, Holocaust, maps and statistics
- Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State ~ includes interactive maps, a timeline, personal stories, and more
- Genocide Under the Nazis ~ from the BBC; includes a timeline, interactive map of Auschwitz, debates over the Holocaust, etc
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum ~ includes the Holocaust Encyclopedia, online exhibitions, etc.; also try clicking on “Education – for Students” (top menu bar)
- Holocaust on Trial ~ from NOVA/PBS; the companion Web site to a PBS broadcast that examines and successfully challenges the notion of Holocaust denial
- America and the Holocaust (part of the American Experience series) ~ click on Timeline, Maps, or People & Events
First try searching our eBooks (try choosing the Religion category) – including the 2015 Worldmark Encyclopedia of Religious Practices, the Catholic Encyclopedia, and more. You’ll need your InfoTrac password to access.
- BBC’s Religion & Ethics—Christianity ~ click on “Subdivisions” (scroll down)
- Britannica School ~ to access from home, you will need a password for this site (see Ms. Martin)
- Canadian Council of Churches ~ includes links to official websites of different denominations
- ReligionFacts: Christian Denominations ~ see the list on the left side…it even has comparison charts!
- Society and Community: Religion ~ from Statistics Canada. Shows the number and distribution of people belonging to religious denominations and faiths. Check out the links on the right toolbar under “Featured Products.”
Don’t forget about the General Resources sites above!