Shakespeare Background Research
- Citation Maker (MLA)
- Sample Works Cited – Shakespeare
- Britannica ImageQuest ~ Access to nearly 3 Million rights-cleared images!
- Google Slides presentation on how to do in-text citations plus cite photos & do List of Images Used
- Research Notes Worksheet (in Google docs…File > Make a Copy!)
Here are some recommended sources to do background research on Shakespeare and his plays.
Research databases (all articles include citations for your Works Cited)!
World History in Context ~ search specific topic or combine with “Elizabethan” (e.g. transportation AND Elizabethan in advanced search)
Britannica School ~ when you’re using this at school, you won’t need a password; from home, see Ms. Martin for the username and password (handout in the library)
- BBC’s Tudors ~ information about Elizabeth I, William Shakespeare and daily life in Tudor Britain (including Poverty in Elizabethan England); also check out their site on William Shakespeare
- Shakespeare’s Life & Times ~ they also have a list of recommended resources on Shakespeare and the Renaissance
- Folger’s Shakespeare ~ information on his life, his works, and the theatre
- Shakespeare Resource Centre: Elizabethan England ~ an overview of the topic and then a list of recommended web sites on topics related to Elizabethan England;
- Crash Course Literature: Romeo & Juliet ~ John Green examines what the play is about, its structure, and the context in which it was written; Part II explores the themes of true love, lust, and whether Romeo and Juliet were truly, deeply in love, or they were just a pair of impetuous teens)
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Romeo & Juliet