Shakespeare Background Research
- Citation Maker (MLA)
- Sample Works Cited – Shakespeare
- Powerpoint on how to do in-text citations plus cite photos & do List of Images Used
- Research Notes Worksheet (save & upload to your Google docs!)
Here are some recommended sources to do background research on Shakespeare and his plays.
Research databases (all articles include citations for your Works Cited)!
World History in Context ~ search specific topic or combine with “Elizabethan” (e.g. transportation AND Elizabethan in advanced search)
Britannica School ~ when you’re using this at school, you won’t need a password; from home, see Ms. Martin for the username and password (handout in the library)
- BBC’s Tudors ~ information about Elizabeth I, William Shakespeare and daily life in Tudor Britain (including Poverty in Elizabethan England); also check out their site on William Shakespeare
- Shakespeare’s Life & Times ~ they also have a list of recommended resources on Shakespeare and the Renaissance
- Folger’s Shakespeare ~ information on his life, his works, and the theatre
- Shakespeare Resource Centre: Elizabethan England ~ an overview of the topic and then a list of recommended web sites on topics related to Elizabethan England;
- Crash Course Literature: Romeo & Juliet ~ John Green examines what the play is about, its structure, and the context in which it was written; Part II explores the themes of true love, lust, and whether Romeo and Juliet were truly, deeply in love, or they were just a pair of impetuous teens)
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Romeo & Juliet