Below you will find links to online resources that have been chosen by Ms. Martin to help with your assignments.
- Citation Maker (MLA)
- Sample MLA Works Cited (including List of Images Used)
a works cited is in alphabetical order, with hanging indents
- For any photos you use in a PowerPoint, pamphlet or other publication, remember to number the photo in the bottom right-hand corner, and create a separate numbered List of Images Used. Do NOT cite Google Images – cite the page where the photo is posted!
Research databases & eBooks:
- Salem eBooks ~ full-text access (with same “remote password” as InfoTrac) to:
- Great Lives from History: the 20th Century encyclopedia ~ biographies
- Critical Insights: The Great Gatsby ~ this eBook includes essays that provide the reader with cultural, historical, comparative, and critical contexts for understanding Gatsby. Other information includes the cultural and historical contexts of Fitzgerald’s work, critical overviews, and a series of critical readings that focus on narrative style, color symbolism, and character analysis among other topics
- Critical Insights: the American Dream ~ see the chapter by James Nagel on The Great Gatsby and the American Dream
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (InfoTrac) ~ houses all of our eBooks
- Britannica School (to access from home, this one has a different password from InfoTrac – see Ms. Martin)
Clash of Cultures in the 1910s and 1920s ~ topics include Prohibition, Women, Immigration, The Scopes Trial
- Digital History: the 1920s ~ topics include events, music, people, film, documents (great for xenophobia!), etc.
Prosperity and Thrift: The Coolidge Era and the Consumer Economy 1921-1929 ~ scroll down to the “Introduction” and other links
National Museum of American History (from the Smithsonian) ~ try searching your specific topic or typing in 1920s
Jazz: a History of America’s Music (from PBS; based on the documentary by Ken Burns) ~ more than just information on the music (try clicking on Jazz in Time) for more about the “roaring 20s”
You Decide: The Roaring Twenties? | A Biography of America ~ key events, daily life, and more (scroll through the “you decide”
- The Roaring Twenties ~ from the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
Temperance & Prohibition (from Ohio State University)
- Crash Course: Great Gatsby ~ crash course video, from John Green…great source for “American Dream” topic
- Crash Course: 1920s ~ crash course video, from John Green…great overview of the decade